Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Dreaded Colonoscopy

 In the midst of these babies being born I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy. I have dragged my feet for the last two years of doing this. Fear of being put to sleep. Fear of finding polyps. Fear of just the whole procedure. 
 So the day before your put on a clear liquid diet. Broth, tea, apple juice, water, Hmmm you get hungry. Oh you can have jello as long as its not red or GREEN!! Yep I ate green by mistake. I was hungry and forgot that color when buying.....
 Soooo here goes the prep drink to get my poop on!! You mix this powder stuff you get from the pharmacy with lemon lime gatorade. The first two full glasses I got down. Then the third was a little tricky. It was nasty, Salty! Really salty tasting. So then I took the apple juice in between to change the taste a bit. Get that salty taste out. 5 full + a little to add glasses of this stuff. 8oz or more.
 I texted this lovely pic to Janica. Just sitting on the toilet and letting it rip!
Now this lovely pic is after I'm all done. Jaren took me to McDonalds because I said I was hungry.
Now lets back up a bit. 
David could not take me because he was sick with a sinus infection. He was at urgent care the night before till 1:30 am. He did find out in the end that he had a bad root canal gone bad and that is why he had a horrible horrible headache. And it was just like having a sinus infection. Soooo Jaren is the lucky one who gets to take his mom at 6am for her colonoscopy appt. Lucky him! 
What I will say is that I was really proud of myself that I had to put on my big girl pannies  and just do it. I had no anxiety when I went. Not nervous. The nurses were sooo kind. They put the IV in me and when the doc came him he said are you ready and I said yes. They put the medicine in me and poof I was out. I don't remember a thing. Like even talking to the doctor after the procedure or having the nurse help me get dressed. Or getting in the car and leaving. Bizarre. I was talking and not remembering. 
So Jaren takes me through the drive up window to McDonalds. I tell him I want a egg muffin with COFFEE!! Ya coffee. He laughs and and says nooo. You need to go home and go to bed. HAHA (he has to be the parent in this situation) when do I drink coffee!? (well I did at Thanksgiving tried the pumpkin spice latte...) So I did settle for hot chocolate. 
I did send this beautiful mouth full of food to my twin brother David.. I must have thought he would like his picture as to that I finally got my colonoscopy done. He had one done two years ago and they had to cut out a big polyp and luckily it was benin.  But they did catch it in time before it could have been a problem. The doctor did say to him I saved your life today. So he has been after me to get mine done. I have no memory of texting him and sending this to him!! Love it!
But Im 52 and clean and don't have to have another one for the next 10 yrs! Yahoo!
Now David has his a week after mine! Lets see how good he does with all the procedure! 

No comments: