
Jory and I went to eat at this place. It was a really cute setting and good food to eat.

Ha ha Jory being funny!

Just doing some relaxing....

Some of the wives we went and took a carriage ride and saw parts of the town. It was just so fun to see the homes that have been there for a long time. Bill Murry has a home in SC.


This horse is so big. But there was another Clydesdale inside on a rest and his name was George. He was HUGE!! I just think these Clydesdale's are beautiful.

Parts of the Charleston while on our walk with the wives.

Ok so while the men went and played golf on Saturday a group of people went on a excursion to a plantation. It was called the Boone Plantation. The difference between a plantation and a farm is that a plantation consists of 100 acres or more. A farm is less. I had a great time here. This is the slaves home made out of brick. Its not big, but it I'm sure in the summer hot months it was some what cool, but they did have a fireplace in side to keep them warm in the winter time.

Another look at the slaves homes.

This was my most favorite part of being at the Boone plantation. This is a women who spoke to us about her generations of family who spent time on plantations. She spoke of the language that her great great grandmother spoke and she read some poems in that language. She said that it was not her given language but she had to learn it so that she could communicate with her grandmother. It was the language that was brought over from Africa when the they brought them there to be slaves. She also talked of the children that worked in the fields as young as age 5. By the age of 18 their body's were done and could no longer work. Also it was not all cotton or tobacco that they grew, it was rice that was really the big thing to grow there. I just so loved hearing of her story.
This is the avenue of oak trees leading up to the Boone home

I found out after I took this picture that I was not suppose to take it. Oh well....but this room is soo beautiful. The table and chairs come from Paris. It came over in the 17oo's
This is the Boone Hall Plantation home. Said to be the most-photographed because of the avenue of oaks. Leading to the house. The land was granted to Maj. John Boone in the 1680's and it became a cotton and brick manufacturing plantation.

On our way to a home that was a Confederate home. After the civil war, two sisters mortgaged their house to buy the Carolina Hotel. They called it the "Home for the mothers, widows, and daughters of the Confederate soldiers.
I can just imagined what it was like back then. The grounds are so beautiful

This was our group having drinks before dinner
The Pineapple Legend...Walking around Charleston you'll see carved pineapples at the entrances of some homes. Since colonial days, the pineapple has been a symbol of hospitality. Legend has it that the sea captions sailing the Caribbean came home with exotic fruits. A caption would spear a pineapple on his fence post to let friends know he was home safely and to please visit. He would then serve food and drink and regale visitors with the high seas.









1 comment:
I was just catching up with your blog and had to do a double take when I saw the picture of you on the bench-swing -- I have a picture of me and the kids on that exact same swing!!! Craziness. I'm glad you had a good time on your trip, I love it out there.
Post a Comment