Friday, July 26, 2013

Boating With Will Wearne

Dave and I had the opportunity to help out Will Wearne and his Young Men and Young Women of his ward. He is the bishop in Duncan Arizona. We met them at Roosevelt Lake. It took them like 3hrs or more to get there. For us it was only an hour and a half. We had a fun day. The water was great  and its not as busy at this lake like Saguaro or Canyon lake. 

These boys had fun trying out knee boarding, wakeboarding and double skiing  
After we dropped them off and sent them on their way home Dave and I headed over to the marina to get some ice cream 
What this almost looks like Lake Powell.....but its not. I did not know they had houseboats at Roosevelt Lake 


As Dave and I sat eating our ice cream we watched two storms on the  mountain pass by. We thought they were coming into the marina but they were heading the other way. So we decided to head back to the dock and load the boat up and head home. 

Well the storm over by the dock was more intense and headed our way.  We ended up not being able to trailer the boat. The wind came up and the waves got more intense. So Dave just said we will wait it out and let it pass. 
Well it got worse. There were white capes and the water was really really ruff. 

This picture really does not show it's justice but the whitecaps went into swells. They were like 5-6 feet swells. Scared me to death. Thought I was on the ocean. So Dave and another boat decided to just roll with the swells. He is such a smart man.....We put our life jackets on for safety. we rolled with the swells for like 20-25 mins. 


  
We ended up finding a shallow water and the swells calmed down a bit but then we had lighting right on top of us!! WOW I really thought that we were going to get hit by lighting!!! That made me nervous!! Then the rain came down pouring!! We finally was able to come in and trailer the boat. When we came back to the dock there were two ambulance there. We thought that someone got hurt in the storm. But I had 3 rangers and a gentleman come down by where we had the boat tied up to the dock and was talking about the boat that was submerged in the water around the corner. We came to find out the boat got submerged because of the big swells. They had a ski boat that sits lower to the water. And they tried to beach their boat for safety to let the storm pass, but the swells just overwhelmed their boat. They were all safe. The ambulance were just a stage to make sure no one was hurt.
So this family has to find a way to get their boat out of the water!! Like I said David was smart in what he did with our boat. Rode it out with the swells. I told the ranger what we did and she said you were smart in what you did. I have been in storms at Lake Powell many of times, but this storm was much bigger and scarier. 
Glad to have the boat out of the water safe!!! 
And to top the day off I twisted my ankle while water skiing. The wake was really big going back into it and I was trying hard to get my ski to go straight but the wake caught the tip of it and I went down falling and I was trying hard not to fall and in the end I twisted my ankle. Bummer!!!! But a great day at the lake still indeed!! 

1 comment:

angela meyer said...

love this, pam. you guys look like you've had an awesome summer!